Monday, August 2, 2010

Homemade Salsa Recipe

Hi!  In just a short time I will have more tomatoes than I know what to do with!  I decided to start making salsa to use some of them up.  I have been making this salsa for a few years now.  I experimented with different combinations and I finally came up with this recipe.  My husband wanted me to can 365 jars of this so he could have a jar a day!!  If you prefer to blanch your tomatoes to take the skins off, you can do that also.  I also learned a tip to squeeze the tomato to get extra water out of the tomato, it makes a thicker salsa.  Enjoy!!
Jodi













Homemade salsa

7 cups diced plum tomatoes

3/4 cup jalapeno peppers, diced
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons cilantro
1 teaspoon reg salt
1 teaspoon hot salt ( I bought this in a restaurant you can just add a bit more salt and crushed red pepper)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cans chilies, chopped
1/2 can tomato paste
3 cups onions (RED AND YELLOW)

1 Add ingredients as listed above. 2 mix completely. 3 I like to can mine. 4 I put them in jelly jars and process according to canning instructions (leave 1/4 inch head room and process for 15 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...